Sunday 10 March 2013

Pills on the Go

Taking pills on the go can be challenging.  If you are like me, you are more likely to miss a dose when you are away from home than when you are at home.  Of course the main challenge is that the medication is so important that doses should not be missed.  The other challenge is to prevent questions from other people about your medical condition.

How do I deal with these challenges?  Travel is required for my job, and some times a lot of travel is required.  Pills are required as well.  My strategy for dealing with this situation is:

  1. I take the pills around the same time every day.  This is particularly important for people with bipolar (or perhaps bipolar-schizophrenia) which seems to be influenced by the circadian rhythm.  I use an electronic device that has an alarm set to ring every day at pill time which for me is 6pm.  
  2. I do not take my pills in front of people that I do not want to have asking questions.  If I am with other people when the alarm goes off, I simply excuse myself and take my pills.  My alarm unfortunately sounds like a phone call, so I try to be polite.  Sometimes I have to pretend not to be taking a call, and later I will pretend to use the restroom as an opportunity to take my pills. 
  3. I always carry my pills on me.  In order to take the pills, I must have them.  If I fly, they are always in my carry-on.  That way, if my luggage is lost or delayed, then I can still take my pills.
  4. I always have extra pills.  This is in case a flight is delayed or cancelled.  The last thing you want to do when you are stuck in Chicago in a snowstorm is to worry about whether or not you have enough pills.
  5. When travelling internationally, I always check the immigration and airport security rules to see if I must have with me my prescription or perhaps the original pill bottle.

These strategies will help anyone who has to consistently take pills.  In particular, people who have medical issues they do not want to discuss or have a particular timing regimen to their pill taking.

If anyone has any other strategies to share, please post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment