Saturday 6 April 2013

A Theory of Bipolar

The title of this post may be a bit more grand than the contents.  For instance there is not one theory and certainly not one coherent theory that tries to explain the whole phenomenon referred to as bipolar.  In this instance, I mean to describe the most coherent theory of bipolar that I see emerging from recent research.  Please bear in mind that the theory is not totally coherent and is missing some pieces of the puzzle.

Along the way of describing this emerging theory, I will try to use examples from my own experience and will suggest possible explanations for how things might fit together.  Please to not take any of these stories or suggestions as fact.  There is much research left to do on these topics, and my presentation could end up being a bit wrong.

What is the theory?  It suggests a mechanism for bipolar by joining two research threads:
  1. HPA axis disregulation
  2. circadian rhythm disturbances
The first one is the potential mechanism, and the second is correlated with the first.  Another feature of bipolar that is correlated with HPA axis disregulation alcoholism. There is strong evidence that the HPA axis is disregulated in alcoholism, and this provides a mechanism to explain the correlation between alcoholism and worsening bipolar symptoms.  In line with my previous posts about alcohol, I will emphasize that these correlations have only been found for alcohol abuse, not short-term light alcohol use.

I intend to follow this post with a series of posts that explore this hypothesized mechanism, the connection to the circadian rhythm, potential drug treatments, and practical steps to be taken.  More specifically:
  1. I will attempt to explain the potential mechanism that results in HPA axis disregulation.  There is evidence, in the form of another disease, Cushing's Syndrome, that has the potential for mood symptoms, including depression, irritability, and sleeplessness, and is strongly correlated with HPA axis disregulation.  
  2. I will explain as well as possible the connection between circadian rhythm disturbances and the HPA axis. 
  3. I will try to explain the scant evidence for how the HPA axis disregulation due to alcoholism might interact with the HPA axis disregulation that is observed for bipolar.
  4. I will mention a drug trial that was just finished for the drug Mifepristone that acts on the HPA axis and has been used for Cushing's Syndrome.  
  5. I will do a post on what this research means from a practical perspective to a person living with bipolar and on what lessons I take from this research.

No comments:

Post a Comment