Wednesday 3 April 2013

Accepting a Job Offer

Commensurate with the post on academic interviewing, I am pleased to report that I have secured my first faculty position!  This is a tenure track job at a major research university in North America.

Why is this exciting?  I survived both the interviewing procedure and the negotiations for the terms on my contract.

I have previously described the interviewing process, which I survived to the best of my ability.  I had some 13 interviews that left my head spinning and my internal clock totally confused due to the multiple trips across time zones in North America.  You might be thinking to yourself that 3 time zones is not much, and indeed for one trip it is not much.  But if you factor in the 11 trips back and forth across 3 time zones in three months, this gets to be a bit excessive.  At any rate, my head was spinning. At the time I thought I had 3 more interviews which were subsequently cancelled.

Arriving home after the 13th interview, I found myself in a situation where I had one verbal job offer (in academia job offers are usually verbal first and written in paper second), and I was anxiously waiting news from 4 other places.  Over the space of the next 3 weeks, I received 3 additional job offers and 1 rejection.  Why does this matter?  Well the waiting is hard, and the timing even harder.  Unfortunately each paper offer comes with a deadline by which one must either reply or ask for an extension.  In my case the original deadline was not long enough to hear from the 4 other places, so I wasted some political capital on asking for an extension.  In addition to this, I was negotiation slightly better contract terms for myself with the employer of my choosing.  All the while I was waiting for the 4 other places to get back to me.  The hope was that someone else would give me a better offer than the original offer.  (All this is very stressful.)  In the end, I accepted the offer from the original place while having 3 back-up offers that I ended up rejecting.

I must say that these negotiations are not easy on someone who has low grade psychotic symptoms that include paranoia.  How exactly is it hard?  Well if you are prone to paranoid thinking, you may not believe that people are playing it straight during sensitive job negotiations.  This is precisely what happened to me.  I noticed the paranoia early and upped the dose of a medication in an attempt to handle these symptoms.  I am happy to report the success of these actions, as I quickly restored my normal thought patterns and successfully negotiated a contract with the university of my choosing.

Three cheers for getting a job!  Three cheers for negotiating the terms of the job! And, three cheers for surviving the interviews!

I will very soon be a professor in a science field!

No comments:

Post a Comment